Monday, August 11, 2008

AFC North

Clay and I are back with a preview of the AFC North, which is possibly the toughest division in all of football.

AFC North Preview: Will the Browns finally overtake the Steelers at the top of the division?

Oz: Baltimore: Here's a team that's over the hill. They're trying to get younger, which is heading them down the right path in the next few years, but right now, it's about getting reps for the young guys. I expect the Ravens to work Joe Flacco into the mix at quarterback, especially if Kyle Boller struggles. Their inability to pass (mainly because you and I would be their best wideouts), though, only hinders Willis McGahee's production at running back. The defense isn't exactly stocked full of spring chickens, but Ed Reed and Ray Lewis anchor a tough unit.

S.D.C.: I agree with everything here. The defense really didn’t do much to get better, athlough health is the real key to getting better. Joe Flacco is going to run this ship, and he is not going to pull a Roethlisberger here because the team isn’t good enough around him. The O-line is all new, and they are going to miss Jonothan Ogden who retired. They aren’t the worst team in the NFL, but they should be the worst team in their conference.

Oz: The one thing I see coming out of Baltimore is them being a spoiler for a division foe. We all know how seemingly inferior teams within a division can be the toughest to play. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up a win that would be a crucial loss to Cleveland and Pittsburgh at the top of the division. What about Cleveland?

Cleveland: Here is the breakout year for the Cleveland Browns. Potent offense led by Derek Anderson and Braylon Edwards; young/fast defense led by head coach Romeo Crennel. Is this the year the Steelers get pushed back to second fiddle? Can Derek Anderson have another 2007 (3787 yards passing, 29 TD’s)? When is Brady Quinn going to push him out? Ever? How’s Winslow’s knee? How much does Dante Stallworth add? In short, what's it going to take to get them over the hump?

S.D.C. All good questions, my friend. I think a lot of it depends on the OL. If they are as good or better then last year, then this offense will continue to fly. They did a lot in the off-season to try to improve this defense, and I think they will be better. Corey Williams and Shaun Rodgers will bolster this Dline and they have good athletes at LB. Are they good enough to overtake Pitt? Maybe they are. I doubt they sweep Pitt this year, but I think they give them a run for their money.

Oz: Not only do I think they'll sweep the Steelers, I guarantee they do. What’s up with the Bengals?

Cincy: I think they're no better than third in this division. They've got a great offense, but not-so-great defense and off-the-field troubles to boot. Just because a team can score doesn't mean they can win. The Bengals don't have a stud running back who can stay healthy. I like Rudi Johnson, but he screwed me last year in fantasy football. Kenny Watson is reliable, but not a great back. They'll split time and I think it will be more of a problem than a solution.

They are a mess. They didn’t do anything to improve their horrendous defense which is strange because they felt like they were close to getting over the hump. They won’t get there this year with a terrible defense and an injury prone RB. I still think they fly through the air, but like you said, it isn’t enough.

Oz: Pittsburgh: Listen to this five week stretch in weeks 10-14 for Pittsburgh: Indy, San Diego, Cincy, @ New England, Dallas. Big Ben is a good quarterback and they're always a good team physically. They seem to have responded well to second-year coach Mike Tomlin. That said, I don't think they're a top-tier team anymore. What I mean by that is they don't scare me into suggesting they could compete for a Super Bowl title. A division crown? Definitely, but no chance they make any ripples further down the line.

S.D.C.: I think Pitt is solid. Ben is poised to have a great year with Ward and Holmes, and Rashard Mendenhall should boost the running game. Their O-line has to stay healthy if they are going to run the ball, and Chris Kenoeatu has to show he can replace their lost leader, Alan Faneca (which I think he is capable of). They aren’t deep at OL, and that is probably their biggest question mark. They should be great against the run, and they have some athletic LB that compliment each other well. Their biggest problem is going to be their schedule, just as you mentioned. Other than what you mentioned, they have Jacksonville too. This team is definitely good, but I am not sure they can hold up with the elite, and because of their schedule they will either go into the playoffs as a super bowl contender or they won’t make it at all. They have to sweep Balt and Cincy, and at least split with Cle to have a shot which isn’t out of the question.

I think this is going to be a two horse race, and probably one of the most interesting of the year.

Oz: So prediction. I've got the Browns at the top of the division and scaring the shit out of someone in the first round, if not knocking them out. You hear me, Indianapolis? Too early to jump on? Remember what I said about Davidson in the NCAA tournament?

Cleveland: 11-5
Pittsburgh: 10-6
Cincinnati: 9-7
Baltimore: 7-9

Very competitive division.

S.D.C.: Well, unfortunately you aren’t going to win any originality points here with me because Mine looks exactly the same, only less wins for, well, everyone.

Browns 12-4
Pittsburgh 10-6
Cincinnati 6-10
Baltimore 5-11

I think the Browns upset Dallas to start the season, and they get on a roll to start. They get the Cowboys and Steelers in the first two weeks of the season, both at home…if they win those two they will cruise. @Baltimore, @Cincy, NYG, @wash…all winnable games. After playing at Jacksonville (who I think is stronger), they have Baltimore, Denver, @ Buffalo, Houston, all winnable games, before they play Indy with a full head of steam. They will lose their first matchup against Indy. I think they have the right schedule to put up a big number this year.

No comments: