Sunday, October 19, 2008

Week 7 pt. 2


Did you realize the Packers haven't had cheerleaders since 1988? When I looked up Packers cheerleaders, this picture came up. Are you serious?

The following are the top seven picks for week 7 of the NFL season. This time, Clay is in BLUE, while I'm in black.

7. Cleveland @ Washington (-7)

These teams are probably a little off their value, with Washington off of an upset loss and Cleveland the other way around. Still, this line makes sense. The Redskins are sort of an enigma to me. They play good defense, have a good running back and a QB that “takes care of the ball.” Nothing exciting about them, but they appear at times to be one of the best teams in the league. Meanwhile Cleveland had a horrendous start, not getting anywhere near expectations until Monday night. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cleveland gave them a tough game, with a much improved defense. Hard not to get on the Browns bandwagon here, especially since I don’t totally buy into the skins.

Browns +7

That's a pretty solid point about it being hard not to get on the bandwagon. You know I was on the Browns to begin to season then jumped ship. They were impressive on Monday night against the defending champs (and they cost me a three team parlay). I have a hard time with Washington because any scenario fits them. Could they blow the Browns out? Yes. Could they win a close game? Yes. Could they lose a close game? Yup. Could Cleveland blow them out? Yes. No idea here. I'm going with my gut here, but I don't think the Redskins turn the ball over like they did last week. They're coming home after a tough loss.

Washington -7

6. New Orleans @ Carolina (-3)

The home teams keep winning in the NFC South. The Saints play in Carolina and then head to London. Carolina was a disappointment on the road last week, but they have been tough at home. These are opposite teams, one wins through the air, the other wins with defense and the ground game. Delhomme does enough to keep you honest, which makes them well rounded. Because of Gramatica, the Saints need this win more, but can a road team get through here. This is a tough one, should be a good game, but I have to take the home team because the Saints have just made too many mistakes, even at home.

Panthers -3

I would argue that this should be the top game of the week. It's an interesting matchup all the way around. Drew Brees is on pace to throw for more yards than most people travel in a year. Whoever owns him in fantasy football is pretty pleased with his 350 yard games every week. Also, people who own Reggie Bush (I do) are very happy because he scores twice a week. It's a good thing.

The Panthers are pretty tough to call. They also lost me a six (SIX!!) team parlay last weekend. I had made three parlays last week and I usually make one big one based on games I like. I never really expect to win the big wins, but I won five of six. I had the Panthers getting 3 points and felt pretty good about my bets. Then the Buccaneers blow them out. This is a revenge bet.

Saints +3

5. Minnesota @ Chicago (-3)

Another tight game, this is a tough week, a lot of 3 points spreads. I keep betting against Chicago because of my original feelings about them, but they are better then I give them credit for. The Vikings are actually 3-1 with Ferotte at the helm, but you have to throw to beat the Bears, and I don’t know if MInn can do that. Both of these teams stop the run and run the ball on offense. Their weaknesses on defense are both in the secondary, but neither team has the weapons to win through the air. Should be boring as hell. Chicago is at home and looks more dynamic to this point on offense.

Bears -3

Talk about an old school NFC battle here, huh? I also have been pretty mean towards the Bears. They actually aren't terrible. What a game last weekend against the Falcons though. It was great because after they went down and scored with 11 seconds left the announcers were talking about the Bears like "they're one of the best teams in the NFC" blah blah then they let Matt Ryan play catch to set up Jason Elam for the TD. The Bears, coming off that loss, aren't going to be too easy on the Vikings this week. I'd take the Bears giving ten.

Bears -3

4. Baltimore @ Miami (-3)

Baltimore is overrated after a strong start against shitty teams. Miami is underrated from last year and a slow start. They should have won last week and they will win this week. The Baltimore defense is good, but not dominant, and Miami is getting it done on offense somehow. I don’t see the Ravens getting much done on offense and I think Miami picks up another W. I think this team could be dangerous in the second half of the season.

Dolphins -3

I hate that I agree with your statement about Miami. I've always hated the Dolphins and I can't believe they're better than the Patriots. How about the lucky bastard who bets on te Dolphins to win the AFC East every year just because he's a loyal fan? They were like +2000 to win the East and they might actually do it. They're a good ballclub.

Dolphins -3

3. Denver @ New England (-3)

Poor Patriots, they had one of (if not the) best offenses ever, and one guy goes down and they suck. They really suck. The Denver defense could make them feel better, but I don’t think the defense can stop Denver. I love taking points in a Denver game because they have trouble blowing teams out when the defense can’t stop anyone. When the offense on the other side is struggling, I can get behind the Broncos, even on the road. I would love if I was wrong here, though, and the Chargers would have a shot at evening up with the Donkeys.

Broncos +3

Brandon Marshall is going to catch 35 balls on Monday night. I just threw up in my mouth.

Broncos +3

2. San Diego @ Buffalo (pick)

The Chargers travel all the way up and across the country and play early in the morning. Teams do not have a good record in these situations. Not to mention they head straight to London from here. They have been having 7AM meetings and 10am practice to try to acclimate themselves to the time change, though. Like the travel and time isn’t an advantage, Buffalo is coming off of a bye, which sounds a lot like the SD trip to Miami a couple of weeks ago. That one didn’t turn out so well. I have to have faith as a fan, and I think the Chargers are the better team. Would I be surprised if they lost, no, but I would be pissed off. Trent Edwards doesn’t scare me, and unless it rains like it did in Miami I have faith the Chargers offense can continue to roll.

Chargers pick

The Chargers looked pretty good against a Brady-less Patriots last week. I'm not willing to say you'd have won if #12 was there. The Bolts were solid offensively. I'm not sold on their defense because they faced Matt Cassel at quarterback. And we can't score after first and goal from the 1.

Bills pk

1. Indianapolis @ Green Bay (+1)

So we finally hear that Peyton had a second surgery, and does that mean last week is finally got healthy? I think that is probably the case. Rhodes can step in for Addai pretty seamlessly, I think, and GB defense has had its struggles this year. Ryan Grant should(?) be able to run all over the defense, so expect a lot of scoring here. The Packers are tough at home, but is Indy catching fire here. I think the offenses will rule this game, and I honestly have no idea who is going to win. Hard not to get behind the Colts seeing how they played last week, but that was a terrible offense and a banged up secondary. I would like to see the Packers win, and they are playing at home, so that’s where I will be.

Packers +1

Here's what's pissing me off, ready? Everyone starts talking all the trash about Eli being the better QB of the Manning family. Really? Peyton has a rough start and all of a sudden Eli "I still can't fucking believe they didn't call me in the grasp in the super bowl" Manning is better? That's crap. Now, Peyton has one good game and it's all "oh, Peyton Manning is back." He was never gone. I hate announcers.

Indy -1

No comments: