Sunday, October 19, 2008

Week 7


The following are Clay and my picks for week seven of the NFL season. I'm in black, Clay is in blue.

14. Tennessee @ Kansas City (+9)

Shouldn't be much of a game here. The Titans look good. If Tennessee wins, they're 6-0. That's pretty impressive but a huge leap to take. They are playing at Arrowhead, where the Chiefs killed the Broncos earlier this year. I want to say Kansas City keeps it close, but I'm not sure they're closer than two scores.

Tennessee (-9)

That Denver game completely ruined my week. I lost a couple of parlays, a teaser and a lot straight up in that game. It was one of my favorite lines of the year, and I got destroyed. I am not going to let that sway me, though. KC is not good on either side of the ball, and I can’t imagine them getting anything done against the Titans defense. I think the Titans are 6-0, and I don’t think it is close. Baltimore kept it close, but they have a very good defense, the Chiefs don’t, anywhere.

Titans -9

13. Pittsburgh @ Cincinatti (+9.5)

I'm just not sold on the Steelers offense right now. They're defense is always really good and "Ben" seems to do just enough to win. Well, that's always been the case. The Steelers have always been a defense/run offense oriented team that gets enough from their QB to win. Remember, Tommy Maddux was their QB a few years back and they went into the playoffs. I don't think they have enough firepower to blow out the Bengals though.

CINCY +9.5

Are they coming off of a bye? They could easily roll in this game, but they haven’t been great on the road, and Cincinatti seems to keep it close more often then not lately. I like the Bengals to do just enough this week. Which felon gets it done, though? Fitzpatrick is the qb, I don’t know. I am with Cincy and the points today, but who knows tomorrow.

Bengals +9.5

12. Seattle @ Tampa Bay (-10.5)

I think this is a tough line because Tampa is tough to read. One week they can't do anything offensively, the next week they beat a 4-1 team by four scores. The initial thought is that Hasselbeck will play? I still don't think that's enough to win, but keep it close? Probably. I don't see the Buccaneers scoring 30 again.

Seattle +10.5

I think Tampa is much better at home then on the road. I think Seattle is bad everywhere, especially on the road. Hasselbeck is not playing, and it looks like Seneca Wallace will be healthy enough to play, but does that matter? This is a huge line, but they will probably cover it with ease. TB has won their 3 home games by an average of 16 ppg, and that was against three teams with a winning record,

Tampa -10.5

11. Dallas @ St Louis (+6.5)

Good call on this being a very uninteresting game. The Cowboys are about two arrests from being the Bengals. A player-friendly coach, an unruly clubhouse, and a crazy owner don't mix very well. This team could go 13-3 and get bounced in the first round of the playoffs because of the mercurial temperment there. You don't see a well-discplined team on a roll just destroying the Cowboys in their own stadium?

Dallas -6.5 (even if Romo sits)

St Louis is really really bad, and they didn’t win me over with the victory last week. Sure, I could see them getting better, but Dallas should be able to do plenty on the ground to win this game. Who’d have thought the line would be this low. A week ago, this line is 13.5. Not having Romo is huge, but they have enough weapons on offense that a steady veteran that won’t try to do too much should be able to come away with a win. I can’t say it would completely surprise me if St Louis covered or even won this one, but I can’t bet on them to do so.

I am actually hearing something that Romo may actually try to play? I wonder if that is better or worse. How long until Roy Williams makes an impact, because they could be really really good on offense once he does.

Cowboys -6.5

10. Detroit @ Houston (-9)

Houston giving nine at home, huh? That's absurd. They played well last week against the Dolphins and squeeked out a win in the final moments. I like that resiliance esepcially after that loss to Indianapolis.

Detroit on the other hand gave their 2nd receiver to Dallas for the rights to the "Debbie Does..." series. Cool move, Detroit.

Houston -9

Hahahaha, I actually think it is a good trade for Detroit. They get three more picks, including two in the first two rounds, and they get rid of salary. It is a rebuilding move, which should have happened two years ago. Detroit sucked already, and they have a hurt qb that just lost his best receiver. Orlovsky does not keep his team in the game here. It is weird to see a team with one win giving nine, but somehow I love this line.

Houston -9

9. San Francisco @ NYG (-11)

I'm surprised this line isn't lower after the Giants' stinkbomb on Monday night. There are two logical ways this team goes, at home, the following week: 1.) They shit all over the 49ers stomachs or 2.) They suck because they realize they're not invincible.

I'm going the first option. They'll realize they can be beat if they overlook someone and they're headed back home with a vendetta.

NYG -11

Did you really just say shit on their stomachs? Really, that is gross. I could have gone with pissed on their head, or just plain shit on them, but adding the stomach part gives you more of a visual, and a creepy one at that. I am much less interested in my California burrito that just arrived, thanks. Last time I took the team looking to get revenge, Dallas shit the bed, not on the Bengals stomachs, the Giants are probably a different team, though. I have been behind SF a bit much the last few weeks, and they really aren’t very good. They got beat by 14 last week, but it was closer then the score. NO blew them out on the road, and the Giants are capable of that. They beat Seattle 44-3, they should win by two TDs right? The over may be better here. Because the Giants should want a statement here, I am going with them, but I don’t love it.

Giants -11

8. NYJ @ Oakland (+3)

Oakland is another team in shambles right now. They've got two potential (down the road, I mean) 1,000 yards rushers in Fargas and McFadden and a young quarterback. In the long run, this team will be fine because they're good defensively. What I mean is the front office is a mess after this Lane Kiffen thing. Al Davis needs the boot pretty soon. The Raiders will be 6-10 this year.

Jets -3

The Raiders will be lucky to be 6-10 this year. They have a good running game, and they should get some quality yards on the ground vs the Jets, but they have no threat what so ever through the air and that is brutal. Their defense is solid, but they just can’t get it done as a team. They blow every lead they get, and they flat out don’t know how to win. The Jets are hard to figure out, but against the bottom of the NFL, I think the Jets will thrive, and that is what they are looking at for most of their schedule.

Jets -3

No comments: