Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week Six picks part 1


Here are the first of the week six picks. Clay is in black, I'm in blue.

So last week I mentioned that I rated most of the games very high and had a tough time deciding which ones were the best, well this week it is the complete opposite. I only ranked 3 games over a 6, and can not believe what makes up the top 5, let alone the bottom 5. The Chargers vs Patriots game would have been one of the top games to look forward to all season, before Brady got hurt, the defense started to show its age, and the Chargers lost Merriman and the ability to be good. I can sum up the Chargers season with one visual from last weeks game. With the Dolphins on their final drive of the game, just trying to get first downs and keep the Charger’s offense off the field, Stephen Cooper (in his first game back from steroid suspension) made a nice tackle near the Dolphins sideline. He gets up talks shit to the sideline and kisses his bicep. Really?! You are losing and you can’t stop the offense from running the ball right up the gut even though a first time NFL viewer would know that is what they will do, and you are talking shit and kissing your bicep? This team is made up of talented douche bags that only care about themselves, and that’s why they can’t win as a team (at least on defense).

That's a hell of a rant there. You could be completely right though. Lots of talent, no heart. The Chargers look like they all think they should win individual trophies, thinking that should win them team titles. Not the case. Do your job, trust the others will do theirs, and good things will come. Tuesday Morning QB was good this week. Check that out. (It's related to what I just said, I promise)

Anyway, now that that is out of my system, on to the rankings.

14. St Louis @ Washington (-13.5): The worst team in the NFL vs maybe the second best team, at this point at least. The rams are terrible and have one hope, a let down after two of the biggest road wins in a long time for the Redskins.

You're right. I think Washington is a top four team in the league right now. You're telling me Clinton Portis doesn't rush for 545 yards this weekend against the Rams? Two touchdowns is a lot of points to give an NFL team. This spread is too high to trust. I agree with the letdown game, but there's no way they lose to the Rams at home. Rams cover.

St. Louis +13.5

The Rams have been destroyed in every game they have played to this point. Even their last game at home vs Buffalo they were leading and ending up losing by over 20. Bye week doesn't help, and neither does a letdown, Redskins roll against one of the worst NFL teams ever.

Redskins -13.5

13. NYG @ Cleveland (+9): Cleveland couldn’t even score on Cincy, and Derek Anderson will spend most of his last start on ground.

Without a doubt. Let the Brady Quinn era begin. The Giants are going to blow the Browns out. They've got Plaxico back, no one on the Browns is going to be able to tackle Brandon Jacobs, and Anderson should be looking up at the Cleveland skyline (which disgusting and polluted, um, I mean beautiful, I may add).

New York Giants -9

I can't argue, the Giants are hard to trust sometimes, but they are way better than this Browns team. They should roll here, all game long. Do you think Cleveland's offense ever comes back?

Giants -9

12. Detroit @ Minnesota (-13.5): Do you see the common theme at the bottom? Terrible terrible terrible.

Wow. You've got one team that is incapable of doing anything on offense OR defense and another team incapable of scoring touchdowns, yet they're given a two touchdown line. This game could be 15-0 on all field goals. Detroit may sneak out a score though. There's a JV cross country meet this weekend that I think will be more thrilling than this game. Think about that. Since when are there JV cross country meets? Do that many people like running now?

Minnesota -13.5

Detroit is just like St Louis, I won't be on them (again in Detroits case) until they play one single game close. Detroit may have the worst defense ever, and even MInnesota's struggling offense, which didn't struggle in a crazy game in New Orleans, should find their way to the end zone early and often. Another blow out in my mind.

Minnesota -13.5

11. Chicago @ Atlanta (+3): Do the Bears have the easiest schedule in the league? I said it last week, the Ravens are the best crappy team. There are more upsets up their sleeve…one here wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

I've been impressed with Matt Ryan. He played well against the Packers last week and I think the Falcons may give the Ravens a run for best crappy team. Or at least the most exciting to watch. When does Michael Vick get out of jail? He'll never go back to Atlanta , right? If he plays Atlanta , will he be trying to get revenge? Doubtful. People in Atlanta supported him, right? What if he was fighting Falcons instead of dogs? Is that even a crime? Speaking of animal crimes, did you hear about the 7 year old in Australia ? Allegedly, he broke into the zoo at night and started picking up lizards and turtles and threw them into the crocodile cage. What a twisted kid. Who is worse, him or Vick?

ATLANTA +3

I am starting to think Atlanta may, somehow, possibly, maybe be more then just the best crappy team. But that is only because most teams in the NFL (outside of the NFC East) appear to be crappy. I don't think Chicago is 6 points better then Atlanta, so I will take the points at home and smile.

Atlanta +3

10. Miami @ Houston (-3): Hard to say if Miami is a lot better then we thought or the Chargers and Pats are a lot worse then we thought. I think it’s a bit of both. Sage, that was about as graceful as my launch off of a chair on the dance floor at the wedding on Saturday when I almost killed a 5 ft girl.

You're probably right. The Chargers and Pats both regressed a little and the Dolphins got better. Ronnie Brown is a good player though. The Texans are in tough shape. When you blow a 17 point lead with four minutes left, morale goes down the toilet. Imagine being at the game as a die-hard Texan fan (if they exist)? It would have taken a lot to not charge the field or drive my car into oncoming traffic. Kind of like Lakers fans did after game 4 of the Finals.

Miami +3

I think Miami is pretty good. Part of that could be from watching them make my team look stupid last week, but they play some tough defense, and they can definately run the ball. They have a qb that won't win the game for you, but he is very capable and isn't likely to lose the game for you. Against a subpar team that just finished one of the biggest choke jobs (at home) that I have ever seen. I like Miami to stay hot. I wouldn't be suprised if Miami made some moves in a wide open division.

Miami +3

9. Green Bay @ Seattle (-1): The Green Bay defense is a little suspect these days, but Seattle can’t do anything well lately. Can you believe GB is getting a point at 0-3 Seattle (I don’t consider St Louis an NFL team). What is going on? Besides the Rams win, they have given up 37ppg.

If you're unaware, my students are taking the PSAT's in my classroom right now and I'm researching NFL picks. How does that work out? They work really hard and I don't. Oh well. Their papers are graded, progess reports are handed out, their test for Friday is made up, what else do they want?!?

Seattle at home? Packers fans losing faith in Rodgers?

SEATTLE -1

Man, Seattle got destroyed last week, and that was off of a bye with two starters back (sort of). Seattle will improve as the season goes by, but this is a must win for the Packers, and I have trouble imagine them losing this one. I guess it wouldn't suprise me if Seattle played their best game of the year here at home, but Green Bay is a better team all around, and Seattle is still hurting too much.


Green Bay +1

8. Cincinnati @ NYJ (-6): Does Cincy finally come out and score this week? This could be similar to that Arizona game with a lot of points.

Carson Palmer finally seems to have gotten some sort of groove going. Whether that is short lived or not, who really knows. The bottom line is that Palmer is a pretty good quarterback and before the first four weeks of the season, he was considered one of the top five. Everyone seems to be forgetting this.

I do think that Palmer, despite his woes thus far is still better than Brett Favre. However, his team is pretty bad. I was watching PTI the other day and, apparently, the Brown family (the Bengals owners) won't fire anyone during the year because they don't want to pay them off to resign. So at least we know Marvin Lewis' job is safe for another few months. This is probably a 6 win team in Cincinatti, but I agree with the theory this game is going to be like the Arizona game. Jets win, Bengals keep it within a touchdown.

Cincy +6

The Bengals offense has looked better recently, and against this defense, they may finally have one of those games we expect from this offense. I am glad that this week in fantasy when I play you, Palmer and Portis both play cupcake defenses, I can't wait to be 1-5. I agree that Cincy does enough to keep it close, hell, they almost did that in Dallas last week.

Bengals +6

No comments: